Daily News: 9/29/14

The Region IV FFA Tractor Driving Contest is October 4th. 9th and 10th grades compete in the 2 wheel trailer competition and 11th and 12th grades compete in a 4-wheel wagon course. The Michigan Farm Bureau Discussion meet is also held that morning. Please stop down to Ms. Hoffman if you are interested in any of these contests.

Voting continues for the WLNS School Spirit Awards. Log on to http://tinyurl.com/oewlns to vote for our two videos. The band has submitted a video in the Marching Band contest and the journalism staff has submitted a video in the Mascots contest. The winning entries will receive a $1,000 and other prizes. Help out our school and vote every day through September 30!

If you want to be a part of the snow sculpting team, applications are available from Mrs. Weber in the art room. Any high school student comfortable creating in three dimensions is welcome to apply. Applications are due by October 1.

If you are interested in driving your tractor to school on the Friday of this week, come to Ms. Hoffman’s room to get the proper forms. You do not need to be an FFA member to participate.

Congratulations to the following Business Department students who have been elected as the officers for our 2014/2015 corporation:
President- Peyton Nichols
VP Marketing- Makenna Vincent
Assistant VP of Marketing-Leah Batora
VP Finance- Morgan Taylor
Assistant VP of Finance- Courtney Loynes
VP Human Resource- Chris Luckhurst
Assistant VP of Human Resources- Makenzie Parker
VP Production- BreAnna Deming
Assistant VP of Production- Haley Braman
Administrative Assistant- Makenzie Parker

Burcham Enterprises will be offering a Segment II driver’s education class beginning October The next Segment I class will begin on October 6. Packets are available at the high school office.

Juniors, check your school email for information pertaining to Homecoming and this upcoming school year. Also have your parents check their’s.

Juniors we need some volunteers to help sort the t-shirt order today after school. Many of the class officers are in sports, so if you can stay after a couple of hours and help Mrs. Batora and Ms. Blank, it would be greatly appreciated.

Juniors don’t forget to bring in bags of candy to toss off the float during the Homecoming parade next Friday. Please bring these to Mrs. Batora and Ms. Blank.

Juniors we need volunteers to dress in red and walk with the float during the Parade and toss candy to spectators in Elsie this Friday. The parade starts at 4:00 pm, so you’d need to be in Elsie by about 3:45. Please see Ms. Blank or Mrs. Batora if you’re able to to this for your class.

Sophomore class dues will be collected this week during both lunches. They are $6.

The bar has been set very high. Haden Thompson shot a huge 10-point with a 19 1/2” spread during the youth season. It will take a good deer to beat that one. Good Luck! Bring a picture of you and your deer to room C-14 for the trophy beard.

The boys cross country team competed at the Carson City Invitational on September 27th. The Marauders finished fourth out of eleven teams with a score of 112. Scoring for the Marauders were Gage Cleveland in 8th with a time of 17:35, Ty Pardee in 11th, he had a time of 17:51, Alex Garber in 31st with a career best of 19:02, Dakota Pfeiffer came in 32nd with a time of 19:07, and Josh Peckens came in 36th with a time 19:14. The team will compete in the third TVC jamboree on Tuesday October 7th at Swan Valley.

In the JV race, the Marauders finished eighth out of the eight teams, however, many runners had their personal bests for the season. Scoring for the Marauders were Philip Olafsen came in 29th with a time of 20:48, Nick Whitman came in 45th with a time of (22:16), Tom Smith came in 46th in 22:17, Sam Sherwood came in 70th with a time of (25:14), and Michael Yockey came in 72nd with a time of (25:43). Personal bests were ran by Philip Olafsen, Nick Whitman, Tom Smith, and Kevin Harrison.