Girls Varsity Track Beats St. Johns

The OE Varsity Boys and Girls track team had their second freshman/sophomore meet of the
year at St. Johns on Monday, May 17. The girls team ended up taking second overall with a total
of 154 points, falling just short of Ann Arbor Pioneer who had 168 points. Ionia took third for the
girls with 68 points, Portland fourth with 59 points, and then Lansing Sexton with nine points.
The boys team ended up taking fourth with a total of 60 points. St. Johns took first for the boys
overall with 168 points, Portland in second with 85, Ionia in third with 84, Fowlerville in fifth with
57 points, and then Lansing Sexton with 30 points. People who earned points for the girls team
were Makenna Pierce (2nd in the 100-meter dash), Izzy Loynes (1st in the 100, 2nd in the
400-meter run), Haley Bashore (5th in the 100), Rachel Spitzley (3rd in the 400), Alexis Spitzley
(1st in the 800-meter run, 4th in the 1600-meter run), Alyse Ladiski (5th in the 800-meter run),
Abigail Prewitt (5th in the 1600, 1st in the 3200-meter run), Ella Powell (2nd in the 3200, 1st in
high jump), Sam Snider (3rd in the 100-meter hurdles, 3rd in 300-meter hurdles, 2nd in long
jump), Audrey Johns (5th in 100 hurdles, 2nd in 300 hurdles, 3rd high jump), and Kloe Bigelow
(5th in long jump). Points were also earned in the relays with the 4×100 team (Makenna, Macey
Bennett, Haley, and Rachel) taking 2nd. People who earned points for the boys were Isaac Orta
(2nd in the 100), Bruce Thornton (4th in the 200-meter run), Cole Workman (6th in the 800, 4th
in the 3200), Ryan Gavenda (3rd in the 3200, 1st in high jump), Joe Humrich (6th in the
110-meter hurdles), Nick Long (2nd in the 300 hurdles, 2nd in high jump), and Austin Darling
(4th in shot put, 5th in discus). The boys and girls will be competing in their regional track meet
at Bath on Friday, May 21.