April 18, 2024

Where Will You Be Going?

With this being the seniors’ last year of high school, they are beginning to think of what they wish to do when they are finished here. To many of them, choosing which college would be best for them is a very daunting task. Each student has a different way of narrowing down their choices and deciding where they would grow the most.

Each student feels that certain things about a college are more important than others. Some choose a college because they feel like it has the best program to help them in the areas in which they wish to excel.

“I chose Albion because I believe that it’s a great school for law, medical, and my sport,” senior Jacy Essex said, “That was really the only thing that I was looking for.”

Many others agree with Jacy in her tactics for choosing a college. They simply look at different places that have programs for their interests and apply.

I think that the college that would help me the most would be LCC because they have an excellent Fire Academy,” senior Cody Syers said.

Another factor that students seem to commonly look at is the campus setting and atmosphere of the college where they are looking.

“The setup of the campus is a big deciding factor for me like the size and where all the classes are located,” Syers said.

There are students who look for specific details that would make them comfortable. Some wish for a light atmosphere.

“The atmosphere would play a big part in my decision. I want an atmosphere that makes me feel like I can act however I want to act, and still have people that would relate with me. If it’s an atmosphere that makes me feel confined to a certain attitude or outward appearance to feel accepted, that’s a complete deal breaker,” junior James Francis said.

Students may also wish for a way to go to college without spending a ton of money.

“Scholarship opportunities are probably the biggest thing that would help me decide which college to attend,” senior Trevor Trussell said.

Some students may simply want to know that their instructors will acknowledge them and make them feel as though they aren’t just another student in that instructor’s class.

“I’ve heard many things about how the staff at SVSU is super friendly and will get to know you instead of you just being another number to them,” Trussell said.

Students may also wish to stay close to where they grew up. They have this connection with their hometown and they aren’t necessarily willing to leave their town just yet.

“When I look at colleges, I prefer a college that’s close to home, but still offers a good education that I can use and apply into real world scenarios that will prepare me for the life ahead,” Francis said.

There are many different ways that students go about looking for colleges. It simply depends on the student and what they desire in their extended education.