March 15, 2024

Raising the Driving Age to 18 Not a Good Idea

Driving is an imperative skill that should be taught at ages 14-16. Raising the driving age to 18 could cause some complications. Age 16 is perfect for learning to drive because teenagers should learn the responsibilities of owning a car, and because raising the driving age could cause issues with family scheduling. 

One reason why the driving age should not be raised to 18 is because teenagers should learn the responsibilities of driving and owning a car before moving out of their parent’s house. When teenagers start learning to drive, they are still under the security of their parents. Their parents provide a place to live, food, and advice. If the teen has a job while in school, they can learn to pay for gas and other necessities themselves before moving out. If the driving age was raised to 18, teenagers would have to deal with the stress of moving out, providing for themselves, and owning and paying for a car. Learning how to manage the cost and responsibilities of a car before moving out of their parent’s care would make moving out a lot easier and less stressful. 

Another reason to keep the driving age at 16 years old is because teens not having a license while in school will lead to issues in family scheduling. During high school, most teens participate in after school events, or even just hanging out with friends. Natalie Regoli writes in 16 Pros and Cons of Raising the Driving Age,”If a 16-year-old (or 17) is unable to drive because the driving age was raised, then someone else in the family must step up to provide these transportation services.” If transportation from another family member isn’t possible, public transportation may be the last option, which can be dangerous and costly. 

All in all, the driving age should not be raised from 16 to 18; 16 is a good age to learn to drive because teens should learn the responsibilities of owning a car before moving out, and raising the driving age could cause family scheduling issues.