April 18, 2024

Cancer Causing PFAs Threatens Great Lakes

Perfluoroalky and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are a group of man-made chemicals that includes PFOA, PFOS, GenX, and other chemicals. PFAS are chemicals that are found in things like clothing, stain resistant fabrics and carpets, cosmetics, leathers, firefighting foams, polishes, wax, cleaning products, Teflon, etc. 

PFAS are man-made chemicals that have been used in industry and consumer products worldwide since the 1950s. PFAS substances are also called “forever chemicals” because they do not fade away over time. 

The National Wildlife Federation warns that pollution from the chemicals are a serious threat  facing the Great Lakes region. Humans can be exposed to PFAS chemicals through drinking water, fish, and from lots of other consumer products.

The chemicals have been found all over the environment from soil, water and air to fish and wildlife, including the great lakes, In recent months, the State of Michigan has found several places where drinking water and fish are contaminated. Actually,  in 2011 Michigan identified more than 100 sources of PFAS. 

These chemicals can cause some major health risks such as kidney and testicular cancers, impacts metabolism and elevated cholesterol, increase asthma, decreased fertility are all possible after being exposed to these chemicals that we see every day and are in our great lakes. Congress did take some precautions to stop these chemicals but it’s not enough.