Bright Maybe Worth a Watch

My first impression of the 2017 Netflix original movie Bright was that it was going to be an action-filled fantasy movie filled with an intriguing plot and some comedic acting.

The main actors/characters in the Bright film are Will Smith (Daryl Ward), Joel Edgerton (Nick Jakoby), Lucy Fry (Tikka), Noomi Rapace (Leilah), Edgar Ramirez (Kandomere), and Jay Hernandez (Rodriguez). The movie was directed by David Ayer (Suicide Squad, Fury). 

In an alternate present day, humans, orcs, elves and fairies have been coexisting since the beginning of time. Two police officers, one a human, the other an orc, embark on a routine night patrol that will alter the future of their world as they know it. Battling both their own personal differences as well as an onslaught of enemies, they must work together to protect a young female elf and a thought-to-be-forgotten relic, which, in the wrong hands, could destroy everything.

A quote from Rotten Tomatoes reviewer Kevin Maher states, “The film creates an audacious alternative reality where orcs, elves and fairies live among us and form part of a vibrant criminal underworld. The first 30 minutes, at least, is wildly accomplished film-making from the Director David Ayer.” The rating on the Rotten Tomatoes website for Bright is 28% Rotten Tomatoes from all critics. This means that the film is not recommended by them.

My personal rating for this film is a 4 ½ out of 5 because it does have some issues in the plot and immature humor, but overall the movie was a success in my opinion. It takes crime and intertwines it with fantasy and something about that makes it work really well in today’s day and age.

I do recommend this movie to anyone who loves fantasy or action-filled films, because overall I think anyone would enjoy Bright even if Rotten Tomatoes did not.