April 18, 2024

Pfizer Vaccine Approved for Children

Pfizer Vaccine Approved for Children

The head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Rochelle Walensky approved the administration of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to ages 5-11. This age group will receive one-third of the adult dosage. Walensky said in her statement, “We know millions of parents are eager to get their children vaccinated and with the decision, we now have recommended that about 28 million children receive a COVID-19 vaccine. As a mom, I encourage parents with questions to talk to their pediatrician, school nurse or local pharmacist to learn more about the vaccine and the importance of getting their children vaccinated.” The Food and Drug Administration granted emergency use authorization for the shot after its vaccine advisory committee overwhelmingly supported its use. Pfizer estimates the vaccine to be about 90% effective in the age group, but there’s still a great concern that parents will not allow their children to get vaccinated. Polls have shown that roughly 30% of parents won’t get their child vaccinated.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-11-03/pfizer-covid-19-vaccinations-for -kids-5-11-can-begin-across-us