49ers Clinch NFC Championship from Detroit

On Sunday January 28th the Detroit Lions played the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship. There was a lot of tension due to the fact that it was the Lions first playoff game since 2016 and first NFC Championship for the Lions since 1991. The Detroit Lions had a very hot start putting up the first fourteen points of the game with the first touchdown being a 42 yard run from Jameson Williams and the second touchdown being from David Montgomery. The Lions maintained the Lead through the remainder of the first quarter not giving up a single touchdown during it. 

The second quarter started off slower for the lions but they still had a good performance having scored 10 in this quarter when the 49ers only scored 7. The first touchdown of the quarter was scored by 49ers running back Christian McCaffrey and it was a 2-yard run. The next touchdown was from lions running back Jamhry Gibbs and it was a 15 yard run followed up by a field made by Michael Badgley.

Exiting halftime the Lions held the lead with the score being 24-7. This quarter the 49ers took over the game and dominated throughout it. This quarter started off with a field goal from Jake Moody then 6 minutes later a six yard touchdown pass caught by Brandon Aiyuk, and then finally with a three minutes  left in the quarter another touchdown from Christian McCaffrey. This quarter is ultimately what switched to flow of the game and gave the momentum to the 49ers.

With the fourth quarter starting the Lions and 49ers were tied with 24 a piece and this is when the game got tense. The first score of the quarter was a field goal from 49ers kicker Jake Moody with 10 minutes remaining. The game then slowed down for a bit as no one scored again until there was three minutes left in the game and it was a touchdown run from Elijah Mitchell. The Lions were now down by 10 and the morality in the stands was low. And finally with one minute remaining in the game Jameson Williams got his second touchdown of the game but it was not enough and the 49ers won the game with a final score of 34 – 31. This game was the biggest comeback in NFC Championship history and it moved the 49ers to the Superbowl.