April 18, 2024

Exchange Students Talk Cultural Differences

Five foreign exchange students were asked about cultural differences they are finding while living here. This is what they had to say.

German exchange student Ben Foellinger was asked about some of his American experiences this week. When asked what his favorite part of American school has been so far, he answered, “The people. Everyone is nice.” He also noted that at his previous school in Germany, the teachers were not nearly as nice as they are here. In addition, the thing that he misses most about his old school is his best friend. The main thing that he had expected to be different when he arrived in the US was that he imagined he would be at a bigger school. The biggest difference for him, however, is that the schoolwork here is not as difficult as the work he was used to in Germany. When first becoming involved with the exchange program, Foellinger did not originally want to be placed at a Michigan school, but instead wanted to be placed somewhere on the West Coast. Foellinger said that out of this experience, he hopes to gain better English skills, long-lasting friendships, and lots of life experiences. As for extracurricular activities, Foellinger is interested in doing basketball this upcoming winter, and possibly being a part of drama and lacrosse. The only thing Foellinger had to add on was that he very much wishes that there was a boy’s soccer team this year. 

French exchange student Noelie Daney was asked about some of her American experiences this week. Her favorite part of American schooling so far has been interacting with the classes, students, and teachers. She doesn’t miss anything about her old school in Franceand said that she expected OE’s dress code to be more strict, and for the teachers to be less kind, because that is what she experienced at her previous school. She also expected that the coursework would be harder, but said that what she is learning now is middle school level in France, but it’s harder here because it is in English, not French. The biggest difference that Daney has noticed is that in the OE community, people are more open-minded and less judgemental than what she had been used to. When asked if she had originally wanted to be placed in Michigan through the exchange program, she shook her head and said, “No. I wanted to be in New York.” Out of this experience, Daney is hoping to improve her English skills, because that is what she wants to study when she returns to France.

Italian exchange student Gianluca Castorina was asked about some of his American experiences this week. His favorite part of American school so far has been sports, as he has been practicing with the wrestling team lately. He noted that from his old school, he misses his classmates the most. When asked about the biggest difference between America and Italy, Castorina said that America is more diverse than Italy. Out of this experience, he hopes to gain adaptation skills. 

German exchange student Emily Müller was asked about some of her American experiences this week. When asked what her favorite part of American school so far has been, she replied, “Sports. Like, the chance to join a team and be a part of a group.” From her old school, Emily misses the events they would have, like Christmas Market. Something different from her community in Germany to the one in Ovid-Elsie is that most people all know each other, whereas at her home in Germany, you would hardly even know your neighbor’s name. The biggest difference to her, however, is that people do more small talk here, and are just overall more friendly. When first getting involved with the exchange program, Müller didn’t have any specific preference of where she wanted to be placed, she was just happy to be able to come to the USMüller is involved in extracurricular activities such as cross country, jazz band, and choir, and she is interested in doing competitive cheerleading and track and field. All that she wanted to add on was that she is having a good time so far. 

Mongolian exchange student Ellie Gerelt was asked about some of her American experiences this week. Her favorite part so far has been that everyone is very friendly and that there are lots of sports and activities that one could be a part of. She also mentioned that the teachers at OE are much more supportive than her Russian school in Mongolia. From her old school, Gerelt misses the advanced level of schoolwork, and said that American work is a lot easier than she expected. She had also expected that people in America would be taller and smarter. The biggest difference, Gerelt said, is that teachers are much kinder, and almost like friends, whereas at her previous Russian school, one wouldn’t even consider going to a teacher with any problems, because there is a very big divide between teachers and students. When she first signed up for the exchange program, she didn’t have any preference on where to be placed, but she also didn’t have much knowledge about the different states in the country. As for extracurriculars, Gerelt is involved in sideline cheerleading, and is interested in wrestling. Her only piece of advice is to never eat cookies at breakfast, because she tried it once and got sick.