Russian Figure Skater Facing Backlast

Kamila Valieva, a 15- year-old Russian figure skater, tested positive for Trimetazidine at the 2022 Russian Figure Skating Championships in Saint Petersburg, Russia, on Dec. 25. Officials said on Tuesday, Valieva claimed in a hearing with a court of Arbitration for Sports last week that her positive drug test was a result of a mix up with her grandfather’s heart medication. International Olympic Committee’s permanent chair of the disciplinary commission Denis Oswald said Vaileva’s defense was that her testing positive for trimetazidine, a metabolic drug that helps prevent angina attacks and treats vertigo, was a result of contamination. 

The court ruled that Valieva would be able to participate in the women’s short program on Tuesday, but a medal would not be given if she were to take place. Valieva took first place in the women’s short program amid fierce backlash from the Olympic community. 

In her only comments since the drug test surfaced, Valieva told Russian state broadcaster Channel One on Monday night that “these days have been very difficult for me. I’m happy but I’m tired emotionally.”

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/russian-olympic-skater-kamila-valieva-positive-drug-grandfathers-heart-medication