The Guilty, Better Than Average Thriller

The Guilty is a tense thriller from a unique perspective. It was released on Sept. 11, 2021 and is available on Netflix. This movie takes place over a single morning and follows a former police officer who has been demoted to a 911 operator. Joe Baylor, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, responds to a call from a woman claiming she has been kidnapped, and takes it upon himself to save her from his desk. This film is directed by Antoine Fuqua. The movie is based on a Danish movie with the same name. Gustav Möller, the director of the original Danish version, said that he based the movie on a 911 call he listened to on youtube. 

Although the movie features a small cast, it is made up for by Jake Gyllenhaal’s incredible performance as the anxious former police officer ridden, Joe Baylor. This movie is certainly a good watch and offers a lot of tense moments but is somewhat forgettable. I think Gyllenhaal’s acting is what really makes this movie. The film received a 74% from Rotten Tomatoes and that’s how I would also rate this movie.