Class of 2020 Funds Memorial Wall

HB4116
HB4116

Recently the 2020 graduates from Ovid Elsie High School had a chance to have their name on the Memorial Wall that is located at the stadium on campus. Due to their senior year being cut short because of the Covid-19 outbreak. 

Mrs. Dana Blank, their class advisor, thought this would be the perfect way to spend the money they have been saving up since the summer before freshman year which they planned to use for a class trip to Chicago and pay for senior prom. Both events were cancelled after Gov. Gretchen Whitmer closed all K-12 schools in the state March 13. The brick memorial is located along the football stadium and was installed mid-November. 

Blank said the purpose of the bricks is to create a legacy that honored the community. 

“Overall this was to create a legacy that honored both Ovid and Elsie community members, and for the students, it helps them be recognized for their accomplishments throughout the years that couldn’t be recognized with activities that have happened in the past, “ referencing the cancellation of prom and regular graduation ceremonies for the graduating seniors.  

Blank also wanted everyone to be involved, therefore she made sure to get kids from the Alternative Education Center in with the idea. She also mentioned that students can still get bricks. To do this you would have to contact Mrs. Blank so she can provide the paper to fill out to personalize it. However, Blank is making sure every 2020 student gets a personalized brick. Some graduating senior bricks have been installed.  All bricks will be installed before the first football game of the 2021 season.