Things Heard and Seen, A Psychological Thriller

Things Heard and Seen is a thriller/horror movie released in April, 2021, by Netflix. The movie is about a couple and their young child who move from Manhattan to a small town after the husband, George Clare, gets a job from a small college where he teaches art history. It’s set in the 1980’s. Catherine, the wife, hesitantly moves from her favorite city to the small town to make her husband’s dream come true to live in an old dairy farm when in reality she has her own dreams and quickly starts feeling sad and alone, when George is only interested in his career and the beautiful women in the town. The old country house also has secrets and Catherine quickly realizes that she’s not alone in that house spending her lonely nights with a supernatural presence. George’s and Catherine’s relationship is slowly breaking apart and Catherine finds out more about the spirit in her house, thinking that the spirit is kind. Very weird things start happening and the movie comes to an odd end, not necessarily happy or sad. The movie is starred by actors like Amanda Seyfried, James Norton and Natalia Dyer. It is directed by Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini. The movie has very mixed reviews with IMDb rating it a 5.3/10 and Rotten Tomatoes rating it a 38%. Film critic Peter Travers writes, “You know a ghost story is a hot mess when it strands a stellar Amanda Seyfried and a top cast in a remote, country house haunted by toxic masculinity, dangling plot threads and nothing worth hearing or seeing.” But then another commenter states “What a brilliant movie! Great cast. Great acting. The art + horror + spiritual elements were tied really well into the film. Consistent storyline, no loopholes or unanswered questions(which is rare for a movie of this genre). Overall very satisfied with the experience!” Overall, I think this movie is good. Other than the bad CGI and the confusing ending, I enjoyed it and I liked the plot line. It wasn’t a traditional horror/thriller movie which is why I think it got bad reviews because instead of it being scary, it had a more psychological and ominous vibe.