May 9, 2024

Homecoming Queen Shares Emotions on Event

Rachel Spitzley is a Senior at Ovid-Elsie High School. She participates in Sideline Cheerleading, she manages the Cross Country team and outside of school participates in Dance. She was previously crowned Homecoming Queen for the 2023-2024 school year. 

Q&A

1. How does it feel to have been elected for Homecoming Queen by the student body?
  • It feels surreal. I’m so honored that people chose me to be Homecoming Queen. All the girls on court were so incredibly deserving. I can’t describe how grateful I am for this experience. 
    1. What was your favorite homecoming activity during the week? 
  • I really enjoyed the pep assembly on Thursday, when all the classes went outside and competed. I feel like it is such a wholesome time, where every grade is uniting and getting competitive. It’s so exciting seeing people get excited and do things and activities they wouldn’t usually do. 
    1. How has your perception of homecoming evolved over the years of being in High School? 
  • I think each year I become more grateful. Homecoming isn’t just about dressing up and looking good for the dance. It truly is about getting the whole school together and talking to people you usually don’t talk to and participating in events and dress up days that are out of your comfort zone. I’m so thankful that our school has the opportunity to truly unite and have fun. I think it also helps people create bonds with new people and feel a connection with the school, which is vital to have for the rest of the school year. 
    1. How important is homecoming and its traditions to you? 
  • I think homecoming is extremely important. It sets up the foundation for the rest of the year by getting people to feel comfortable at school. It also gives people the ability to feel connected to their grade and the other grades. 
    1. What do you hope to gain from this experience?
  • I feel like I’ve already gained so many memories and have received so much love from the community. I’m so thankful for everything I’ve already received that I don’t think I need or deserve anymore than what I already have. 
    1. What are your educational goals/What are your plans after High School? 
  • I’m currently hoping to attend Florida State University next fall and I’m aspiring to get a degree in Creative Writing and Fashion.
    1. Describe the relationship between you and last year’s Queen Alexis Spitzley.
  • Last year’s queen is the literal queen of my heart, my sister, Alexis Spitzley. She’s my best friend and truly means the world to me. Since Alexis and I are so close in age we’ve always been incredibly close and it was a dream to have her crown me. 
    1. What are the OE colors?
  • Blue and Gold!