May 9, 2024

OE Marching Band Earns Ones in MSBOA Marching Band Festival Oct. 9th

The Ovid-Elsie Marching Band, conducted by Jeanine Ignash, received level one ratings Monday, Oct 9th, in the MSBOA Marching Band festival.

Ovid-Elsie arrived in two buses, one bus containing the percussion and the other bus containing the rest of the band. They went to Owosso at Willman Field at  5 p.m., warmed up in the warm-up area for about 45 minutes, then went to the entrance to the field and waited for the other marching band to finish their show songs. The Ovid-Elsie Marching Band performed after smaller bands but before the big bands, with an intermission in between. 

During the show, the band played Crazy In Love by Beyonce Knowles and Sean Carter, this song was arranged by Doug Adams. The band was conducted by senior drum major Kaine Chapko, the band had a great song and during the second half after the trumpet main part, they started to go from left to right in a synchronized movement, when they reached the end they all ended. Finally down went the instruments and the crowd started to applaud. 

The next song was I Gotta Feeling, This song was arranged by Paul Murtha and the band was also conducted by Junior drum major, Piper White. During the performance the band played in beat with the music and played pretty well during the entire thing and after they reached the final position they were all in lines, with the drum line in the middle in the back.

The third song was Roar, By Katy Perry, arranged by Michael Brown, Chapko conducted the band again. After what seemed like a few measures of staying still it seemed like they changed the song as it seemed the drum major, Chapko, changed the tempo to go faster and the band started to move. When the band went into a glasses-looking move the drum major, Chapko, stopped the band, causing confusion among the crowd, until the person on the speaker said the actual song was… Never gonna give you up by Mike Stock, arranged by Matt Conaway, and well… you just got rick-rolled. The band finished up the song after getting into a block formation.

After the crowd got rick-rolled, Chapko turned to the stand and then saluted. Then, the band tapped off the field. The judges then scored the performance. Ovid-Elsie earned all ones, ones being nearly perfect to perfect for a performance.