Freshman Discusses Cheerleading Season

Today I met with Memarie Brasseur. She is a freshman at Ovid-Elsie High
School. She has been participating in cheerleading for about 10 years. She has also
played volleyball in the past for just a season. She is nearing the end of her first year of
high school cheer. So I’ve decided to ask her about cheer and how it has been for her
first year on the high school cheer team. She talked about how cheer has been a fun
learning experience seeing how many years some of the cheers have been carried on
and how they have changed over the years. She continued to talk about how she was
encouraged by a few friends to join the team. Also mentioning how cool it was to watch
them at football games and how it always looked like they were having fun. I asked her
how she felt about this year’s cheer team and she expressed that she felt good about it.
She feels that sometimes they have their struggles but always end up coming together
and pushing through it as a team. One of the accomplishments she wants to have in the
future revolving around cheerleading is that she would eventually like to go to college as
a more advanced-level cheerleader. She is happy doing almost anything as long as she
enjoys it. Lastly, I asked her what position she was in on the cheerleading team, and
she mentioned that she was a front spot but has experienced changes where she has
had to be a flier or a base. I had a fun time getting to know her cheer experience and I
can’t wait to see where she goes with it in the future.