May 9, 2024

Milan Antismog Measures Secured Over Industrialism

Italy’s northern Lombardy region imposed severe restrictions on antismog measures over Milan, one of the biggest cities, and other areas around it. 

On Feb. 20th, 2024, the measure bar, that normally operates on heavy motor vehicles, imposed limits on heating and industrial agricultural activities in the area.

A lack of rain and wind has altered and increased exponentially the air pollution levels in Italy, particularly in the most land-locked and industrial northern Po River Valley.

Parts of the Italian peninsula are frequently hit by periods of bad air quality in winter but this time the levels measured numbers never seen before.

Italian environmentalist group Citizens for Air said the situation is severe and requires strict measures to limit the increase of air pollution caused by vehicles but also influenced by agricultural activities.

The activists of the End Fossil campaign occupied classrooms, filled out formal requests, studied codes and laws in order to close the Eni industry, the national fossil industry.

It happened in Rome because it was essential for them to spread a good example of activism. The two activist groups collaborated pacifically, without breaking laws. Their only goal is to help the environment and its safety, which is a purpose they are trying to spread worldwide.