Daily News: 10-13-14

The following girls still need to turn in their powderpuff jerseys: Lacey Coleman, Julie Mourmaux, Lacey Micka, McKenzie Parker, Amy Hoffmann, Tan Ha, Abaigail Butcher, Aburey Warren, Claudia Linnartz and Alyvia Hurst.

All lunch deposits absolutely need to be turned in by 10 A.M. starting today. There will no longer be anyone in after that time to put deposits in the system, so it’s important that everything is in by 10 A.M.

Freshman volleyball players: Those of you practicing today are to meet the varsity captains Logan Trefil, Brooke Denovich and Lacey Micka right after school just outside the doors of the student parking lot to get your ride to Leonard Elementary where you are practicing today.

FFA members who would like to purchase a chapter t-shirt must turn in their order forms today.

The Art Institute of Michigan will be giving college presentations in the art room on Thursday, Oct. 23 during first, second, and third hours. See Mrs. Weber for a pass to attend one of these presentations if you’re interested.

There will be a meeting for those interested in bowling on the the bowling team in the Community Room this Wednesday during both lunches.

Attention seniors: Baker College in Owosso is hosting a College Day on Friday, October 24.
A bus will be leaving here at 8:45 A.M. and will return by first lunch. You can sign up in Student Services and pick up a permission form. Permission forms are due by Wednesday, October 22. Only the first 35 students with permission forms in will be able to participate.

The Academic Ceremony will be on Thursday, October 23. Letters have been mailed home to those who achieved a 3.33 GPA from the 2013-14 school year. The list of names is posted in Student Services. If you have any questions, see Mrs. Horak.

Attention seniors: Mrs. Horak needs suggestions for the class motto, class flower, class colors and class song. Please get those in to her by Tuesday, October 14.

NHS members: A great opportunity for earning community service hours is available for you immediately. The head wrestling coach is looking for two students to serve as mat stats for the upcoming season. Your primary tasks would include keeping the score book and videotaping the meets. Knowledge of the sport is not necessary. If you are interested in this opportunity, please see Mrs. Laurencelle right away.

There will be a brief sign up meeting for ALL high school girls between lunches tomorrow in the auditorium. Any player wishing to tryout for girls basketball should attend this meeting. If you cannot attend the meeting, you will need to contact Coach Cunningham on your own.

The marching band will be performing at their festival today at 7:30 P.M. They will be at Willman Field in Owosso.

Quiz Bowl will meet in Mrs. Keck’s room at 7:30 A.M. tomorrow morning.

Model UN members: dates have been set. Please meet in Mrs. Keck’s room at 7:45 A.M. tomorrow morning.

Seniors: if you need to work on your college application or scholarships you may use the Information Center during your lunch to do so.

Any junior that is interested in signing up to take the PSAT test please sign up in Student Services. The PSAT is the pre-SAT test. This test will be given on Wednesday, October 15.

The boys cross country team ran a great race on Saturday at the Greater Lansing Invitational. They placed 16th among 36 of the top teams in the Lansing area. Nearly all runners improved their times for the second time this week. The team has done an excellent job in putting themselves in a position to compete for the top three places at our regional meet on October 24, potentially with a trip to the state finals on November 1. Scoring for the Marauders were Gage Cleveland with a time of 17:14, Ty Pardee with 17:26, Dakota Pfeiffer with 18:12, Josh Peckens with 18:20, and Alex Garber with 18:55. The team will compete in the TVC overall meet on Tuesday, October 14 at Merrill.

The varsity volleyball had some strong competition at their invitational on Saturday. They split sets with Birch Run and Central Moncalm, but lost some fairly close games with Laingsburg and Bath. Leading the day were Logan Trefil with 20 assists and 38 digs. Lacey Micka had 5 aces and 27 digs. Megan Black contributed 18 kills and 9 blocks while Megan Walter had 16 kills and 4 blocks. Brooke Denovich chipped in with 20 digs and Morgan Martin 5 aces.