To the Bone Addresses Eating Disorders

The movie To the Bone follows a 20- year- old anorexic girl named Ellen ( Lily Collins) and needs to get help before she completely loses herself and finds herself in a group home that sends her in some new directions. The movie was released on Jan 22, 2017. The producers are Karina Miller, Bonnie Curtis, Julie Lynn, Monika Bacardi, and Andrea lervolino. 

Ellen is an unruly 20-year-old anorexic girl who spent the better part of her teenage years being shepherded through various recovery programs, only to find herself several pounds lighter every time. Determined to find a solution, her dysfunctional family agrees to send her to a group home for youths, which is led by a non-traditional doctor(Keanu Reeves). Surprised by the unusual rules, Ellen must discover for herself how to confront her addiction and attempt self-acceptance.

The website Rotten Tomatoes gives this show a 71% for average tomatometer, and the website Metacritic gives a 64% rating. Overall this film has mixed reviews but is a good movie.

A quote from Metacritic says, “This is by far one the most exceptional films I have ever seen. Although I have never suffered seriously with an eating disorder and cannot vouch if it is an accurate representation of a clinic I was enthralled with the journey. It follows a young teenage girl and her struggles with anorexia nervosa. It tackles love, loss, stigma and misconceptions. Considering it tackles such a sensitive and potentially triggering issue I found it funny and lighthearted throughout and all the deepest parts were handled with care and attention. I feel educated after watching the film and really felt the emotion she was going through. I rarely feel so connected to a character but it was acted and scripted beautifully.”

The movie To the Bone is a good drama/comedy. I personally would give the movie a 9.5/10 rating. I think that creating this movie that brought light into eating disorders did a very nice job showing the realistic aspects and that mental health and disorders have ups and down and isn’t always pretty. I personally think this movie could have been a series and really focused on educating people through making a nice show to watch. I would recommend this movie to the appropriate audience however I would put a trigger warning for all viewers if they struggle with this.