OE Competitive Cheer Kicks Off Season

The Ovid-Elsie varsity competitive cheer team competed at Grass Lake High School on Saturday after a long month of practices.

After this past week of ups and downs, with two people quitting the team, and two others away for personal reasons, these cheerleaders had to work extra hard. They kicked off their part of the competition with round two, showcasing loud voices, powerful jumps, and sharp motions, all while having huge smiles on their faces. The OE girls finished the first round with a score of 175.9. 

Next, the lady Marauders took the mat once again for round two. This round featured complete unison from all eight of the cheerleaders, showing off some skills, like back handsprings, front walkovers, and toe touches. The girls finished the round with a score of 172.9, the highest round three score of the competition. 

Due to limited practice times and other issues, the team unfortunately was unable to perform a round three for this competition. Because of this, the girls came in sixth place out of the six varsity teams, but it was certainly a great way to start off the 2021-2022 competition season. OE finished with a combined score of 348.3.