May 9, 2024

Netflix’ The Killer, A Waste of Time Hitman Wannabe

Netflix The Killer, A Waste of Time Hitman Wannabe

Netflix released a movie titled The Killer in Nov. 10th of this year. The cast of the movie consists of the main character, Micheal Fassbender playing The Killer. The director of this movie being David Fincher, also the director of Fight Club and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. This movie has an age rating of R and is 118 minutes long, with a genre of action and thriller. This movie is based on a book titled The Killer, written by Alexis Matz.

The movie is based around a hitman who has a past. He struggles with mental health and morality as he attempts to do his job. The hitman often mutters facts and statistics he has learned over time, relating them to his life in a metaphor. The movie follows his journey from a conflict sprung when he misses a shot.

The Killer has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 85% with an audience score of 59%. Critics viewed the movie very highly while the audience saw it as just a bleak movie produced by a popular director. Joshua Rothkopf, a top critic, described the movie as “An opportunity for America’s most stylish director to reboot, to get back to basics, to come in under two hours.” However another viewer by the name of Lauren Coates said, “Despite a measured performance from Fassbender and a clear vision… The Killer lacks any kind of teeth.” An additional critic named Rob Thomas, regarded the movie as “Thirling, high-level film making.” 

The movie was regarded as commendable by a multitude of critics and the audience saw it as bleak. The movie lacked a substantial amount of plot and felt like a sloppy, rushed-together, mess of a trying to be, hitman film. The movie handled not many intriguing or interesting characters and attempted to add layers of depth that just tended to be plot holes. The movie pushed a snooty personality into the main character, but didn’t portray it well. The character often spouted off facts that were unrelated to the events and felt as if they were forced into the movie altogether. The movie should definitely be regarded as bleak since the time it happens to take to watch the movie showed events that could be summed up with few words. The movie did not commit to making proper story-telling structure and showed very little signs of a rising action at all. I would rate this movie a 4/10 and would not recommend it.