May 9, 2024

Family Switch Holiday Netflix Film Not Recommended

A recent addition to the Netflix Christmas library is Family Switch. A movie directed by McG or Joseph McGinty Nichol. The writers of this movie being Adam Sztykiel and Victoria Spouse. This movie stars Jennifer Garner and Ed Helms. Family Switch came out Nov. 30th of this year. The genres of this movie are comedy and children’s film.

The parents of the movie have trouble connecting with their children and start struggling with the idea of their children moving away. The parents start restating a phrase of wishing that they could be in the kids’ shoes and comparing their lives. While they go to take a family photo as is the tradition they endure a body-swap trope.

The movie has a 45% on the Tomatometer and a 50% for audience score. There aren’t many positive reviews of the site or a numerous amount of reviews to base off of. Owen Gleiberman, a top critic, and a critic in Variety wrote, “Family Switch” has bits and pieces of amusement, but mostly you want to swap it for a better movie.” Another review written by Natasha Alver, shows the general contentment with the small details. She states, “Family Switch isn’t going to be that special holiday movie you put on every year, but it’s fun enough to be enjoyed in the moment.” There were no direct reviews outwardly complementing the movie.

The movie was overwhelmingly forgettable, the cast had notable names, yet the plot was lack-luster. Having Emma Myers of ‘Wednesday’ in the cast showed her in a new light. The cast felt like it was thrown together to have some sort of nostalgia and felt more like it was for a joke rather than a serious movie. The jokes were childish and didn’t have the amount of depth you would expect from a comedy. The bloopers were entertaining and show that the cast had enjoyment creating the movie however the movie itself seemed less focused on being something entertaining. I would rate the movie a 4/10 and wouldn’t recommend it.