Boys in the Boat A Little Bland

Boys in the Boat A Little Bland

The Boys in the Boat came out on December 25, 2023, and was released to streaming services on January 16th, 2024. George Clooney directed it and was helped by Grant Heslov during the production. The movie made around 52 million at the box office while having a budget of 40 million meaning it managed to make a profit.

The Boys in the Boat occurs during the American Great Depression, specifically in 1936. It follows an American rowing team as they tackle the Olympics being held in Berlin. The story was based on the book that came out in 2013. The movie captures the highlight of the Great Depression as the spotlight gets put on this team of rowers trying to get the gold medal. The Boys in the Boat did well as it has a 97% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. However, it has a 58% on the Tomatometer which is low. The difference in these two scores can be seen in the reviews for the movie. One review gave it a 2/5 saying it managed to offer excitement sports-wise but lacked everything else. Another said it helped them learn new topics and appreciate what happened during those times, they gave it a 3/4.

Overall, I would rate this movie a 7/10. I am not a huge fan of sports movies, no matter the sport. However, this movie took place during the Great Depression which is something that does have my constant attention. The story and everything were there but it felt like it was just the same copy and cut storyline. I feel most movies nowadays follow a safe way of movie making which makes them all feel bland and like repeats. The visuals are different and the drama is there so I do applaud that. I would recommend this movie to anyone who has read the book or is looking for a good watch to pass the time.

Website: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_boys_in_the_boat