Mitski Explores Modern Themes in 2016 Release

Puberty 2 by Mitski was released on June 17th, 2016. There are 10 tracks on the album. Some of her other albums are Bury Me At Makeout Creek, and Lush

My favorite songs in Puberty 2 are Once More To See You, Best American Girl, I Bet On Losing Dogs, and Crack Baby. Although these are my favorite songs on the album all 10 songs on the album follow a story. Some other really good songs on the album are Dan the Dancer, Happy, and A Burning Hill’. 

Best American Girl is about loving a white man while being a woman of color. The chorus is: “Your mother wouldn’t approve of how my mother raised me, but I do, I think I do. And you’re an all-American boy I guess I couldn’t help trying to be your best American girl.” This reflects on Mitski’s fear that the mother of the man Mitski loves wouldn’t accept her because of her ethnicity. ‘Crack Baby’ is about a baby who is born already addicted to crack. 

The Chorus is: “Crack baby, you don’t know what you want, but you know that you had it once and you know that you want it back. Crack baby, you don’t know what you want, but you know that you’re needing it and you know that you need it bad. With wild horses running through your hollow bones, wild horses running through your hollow bones. The line about wild horses embodies the craving for crack.”  

Mitski has many popular songs such as ‘Mine All Mine’, ‘Washing Machine Heart, ‘Nobody’,  ‘Best American Girl’, and ‘I Bet on Losing Dogs’. All of these songs gained popularity on the music app Tiktok.