Megan Leavey Follows True Story

The movie Megan Leavey is a true story filmed to show how a lost girl just slumping through life joined the Marines and didn’t start off too well then pursued her dream and became a military police K9 dog handler. The main character Megan Leavey is portrayed by Kate Mara. The movie was released on Jun. 9 2017. The producers are Mickey Liddell, Jennifer Monroe, and Pete Shilaimon, and was written by Gabriela Cowperthwaite.

Megan Leavey is a US Marine corporal who served as a Military Police K9 handler. She was paired with military working dog Rex (E168). The pair served two deployments in Iraq together. They were first deployed to Fallujah in 2005, and then to Ramadi in 2006, where they were both wounded by an improvised explosive device. Leavey was awarded the Purple Heart and the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with a “V” device denoting heroism in combat. In 2012, Rex developed facial palsy, which ended his bomb-sniffing duties. Leavey was able to adopt him through the intervention of Sen Chuck Schumer, around April 2012. Rex died on Dec 22, 2012.

The website Rotten Tomatoes gives this show a 85% for average tomatometer, and the website Metacritic gives a 66% rating. Overall this movie is a good movie that portrays a true story very well and is liked. 

A quote from Metacritic says, “Do not believe the negative reviews. One which I read is reviewing the Iraq War, not the movie. The movie is apolitical and presents a real world, real woman in a realistically heroic role. I would rather take my daughter to Megan Leavey than Wonder Woman.”The movie Megan Leavey is a war movie that I think anyone who has a heart and wants to learn about the things that our military has to endure. I overall think this is an amazing movie that more people should watch because it inspires. I give this movie a 11/10. I would recommend this to the appropriate audience that can handle this type of movie, I personally would watch this movie over and over and would love to meet the real Megan Leavey one day. She is a great female inspirer.