Hush, A Thriller Worth Watching

The movie Hush is a 2016 American slasher film directed and edited by Mike Flanagan, starring Kate Siegel, who also co-wrote the film with Flanagan. It is available on Netflix. The film co-stars John Gallagher Jr., Michael Trucco, Samantha Sloyan, and Emilia “Emma” Graves. It was jointly produced by Trevor Macy through Intrepid Pictures and Jason Blum through Blumhouse Productions.

The movie is about Maddie Young, a deaf horror author who lost her abilities to hear and speak after contracting bacterial meningitis at age 13. Hoping to advance her writing career, she lives an isolated life in the woods with her cat. Her friend Sarah visits her one evening to return a copy of her book. Later that night, a masked killer with a crossbow attacks Sarah and chases her to Maddie’s house. A bloodied Sarah bangs on the door shouting for help; she goes unnoticed by Maddie, and the man stabs Sarah to death.

The website Rotten Tomatoes gives this show a 93% for an average tomatometer, and the website Metacritic gives a 67% rating. Overall this is a well liked thriller film. 

A quote from Metacritic, “The rise of Mike Flanagan continues with “Hush,” a simple, yet satisfying horror thriller in the vein of “Wait Until Dark” and “Don’t Breathe.” It’s not even enough to say that this is a solid story told competently by a director who doesn’t get in the way of it. Because Flanagan does. And for the better. In most cases like this, I’d say it would be better for a director to just play it safe and let the simplicity of the story in question shine instead of atypical directorial choices. But Flanagan really knows what he’s doing. Using clever sound design, interesting visual cues, and thought-provoking framing devices, Flanagan wants us to see this story for what it really is — not just a story of survival, but an examination of sensory perception and vocal expression as a whole, and how a lack of either ability can change, alienate, or otherwise empower a person in certain circumstances. Beyond this, the movie is also quite fun in all the ways that horror movies should be, always allowing the audience to savor the tension, nod along with the intelligent moves on the part of the protagonist, and reel back in their seat whenever something big happens. This was a solid entry on the part of Flanagan and Co. and I can’t wait to see what else his budding career will have in store for us.”

The movie Hush is a great horror film that is well liked. I would give this movie a 10/10 rating, it really captured the scary aspect to a movie that really gets you to jump. I would definitely recommend this movie to people who like horror movies.