Brian Powell becomes OE Middle School principal

Brian Powell has been an Ovid-Elsie staff member for 20 years and has taught for many of those years and now he is the principal of OE Middle School.  We interviewed him to learn more about the relationship he has with the staff and students.

Asked, what success means to him, Powell replied, “Success is having a goal and at times work through hardships to achieve it.” PowelI feels, “success and determination are closely aligned.“ 

When we asked Powell What are the three best leadership qualities in a student? His number one quality was for becoming a leader was being courageous.  His second leadership quality was being empathetic to other students. The third and final leadership quality was being an advocate for other students. 

When we interviewed Powell on his relationships with staff and students he states, “I try to establish and build relationships with staff and students by striking a balance between support and accountability. It is important that students and staff feel  valued and respected.” He also thinks that,” Great relationships are built on mutual respect.” 

Lastly, we asked what does failure mean to you? He responded with, “Failure is nothing more than a stumbling block on the road to success, It does not define you, rather what you do after failure does. “