Listen to American Pie Before You Die

I am reviewing an underrated album today. One that is so relevant yet hidden. American
Pie by Don McLean. I hear so much buzz of the song American Pie or Vincent, and yet never
any mention of the album itself. In my opinion, it is the best folk-rock album ever created, let’s
talk about it.
Don McLean is an unmatched lyricist and musician, from the moment the first chord of
the album rings out on the title track, “American Pie”, everyone already knows what’s up. Such a
great track that everyone can sing along to, and even if you can’t you must appreciate it for its
musical value and historical context. McLean is known for his poetic songs about American
society, and the truth behind the American dream, but on this album it is displayed less than
usual. While those themes still hold true in American Pie, it takes a deeper look at more
personal things, such as past love and loss, struggle with religion, and ego. McLean’s
songwriting on this album sure is something to write home about.
Don’s warm vocals are truly smooth as honey to listeners, and the recording quality is
just good enough to not bother yet just grainy enough to shoot a boost of nostalgia through
listeners. Everything about this album is perfect for the genre and I have probably listened to
this album over 100 times. I could recite every word to every song, and hold this album very
close to my heart. This album is where much of my musical passion comes from, and it is one of
the greatest albums ever made. Please listen to this album before you die, truly listen to every
word and every strum. It is something nobody could regret, and if they do they are wrong. This
album is a 10/10.