May 9, 2024

Finds Empathy in Priscilla Presley Film

I am not a movie person. I struggle paying attention to a movie all the way through to be
honest with you. I can only do it if I’m literally at the theatre or somebody else is watching it
with me. This week, however, I randomly decided to watch the movie Priscilla on HBO Mas. It’s about the
experiences Priscilla Presley went through in her relationship with Elvis. This movie is
captivating, beautiful, and eye-opening.
Director and producer, Sophia Coppola did an awesome job at portraying Priscilla’s
personality and illustrating various events from her perspective. I was unaware of all the pains
she went through during the duration of her and Elvis’s relationship. Watching this movie was
painful but in the best way. I could see and feel the pure hurt, the thinking behind her eyes.
Without outwardly saying it, the movie showed how Elvis groomed her from a very young age
(14) and gaslit her around every corner. You could almost see the anger build up in her more and
more as the movie continued. From the leaving constantly, the empty reassurance, the yelling
and controlling words and actions, the cheating, and much more. All of it just made me
incredibly happy that she ended it with him at the end.
This movie partly disappoints me because Elvis seemed cool. I enjoy some of his music
but now it all just sounds incredibly unauthentic to me because I know his love songs were partly
based on some women he had an affair with.
The cinematography, sets, makeup, and costumes were all so perfect. In some pictures I
will display you can see the absolute attention to detail and care put into the sets. Each and every
car was unique and rare, the Graceland set is beautiful, the outfits are awesome. No complaints.
The only thing I complain about is that there isn’t any background to Priscilla, they just
kind of throw us into her meeting Elvis.
Overall I rate this movie a 7.5 out of 10 just because it has some boring parts. It took me
2 days to watch it because even movies I like a lot can’t really keep up with my attention span.