North Carolina Clenches NCAA National Championship from Iowa 87-75

Sunday night South Carolina took the NCAA national championship win from Iowa 87-75 in Cleveland. This game was the most watched NCAA game in history, including men’s basketball. This win gave South Carolina satisfaction after they lost to Iowa last year, as well as Iowa’s win against LSU after the devastating loss last year. Dawn Staley, South Carolina’s coach, accepted her third win through her coaching career that night. This win for South Carolina stamped their name in the history books, and caused immense emotions for both teams. Iowa’s Caitlin Clark was front and center, and ended the game with 30 points. With only 20.2 seconds left of the game, Clark subbed off the court, knowing the ending of the game, and was met with a standing ovation from the crowd. Clark ended the game with an interview and said “Yeah, I’m sad we lost this game, but I’m also so proud of myself, I’m so proud of my teammates, I’m so proud of this program. There’s a lot to be proud of.” Staley went on to address Caitlin for her impact by saying, “And I want to personally thank Caitlin Clark for lifting up our sport. She carried a heavy load for our sport. And it’s not going to stop here on the collegiate tour, but when she is the No. 1 pick in the WNBA draft, she’s going to lift that league up as well. So Caitlin Clark, if you’re out there, you are one of the GOATs of our game and we appreciate you.”