Ukrainian Drones Strike Deep Inside Russia

Russia reports Ukrainian drone strikes on targets deep inside its territory and border incursion. Ukraine launched a wave of long-range drones against targets deep inside of Russia, Russian officials said they hit at least two oil facilities in the attack on eight regions of Russia. One Ukrainian drone struck and set a fire to an oil refinery in the Nizhny Novgorod region. That region is located about 775 kilometers (480 miles) from the Ukraine border. A drone was shot down in another deep strike, it was shot down in the Moscow region. Even though it was brought down south of the city center, the drone was close to Zhukovshy Airport, which is one of Mocow’s four international airports. Another one hit an oil depot in Oryol 95 miles from Ukraine. 

The strikes appeared to be evidence of Ukraine’s growing sophistication in domestic drone technology and its brashness in taking the war to Russia, after the Kremlin’s forces launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said his country developed a weapon that hit a target 400 miles away last year, in reference to the drones. They have also deployed sea drones into the Black Sea and claim to have sunk Russian warships. 

Kyiv’s forces are hoping for military supplies from Ukraine’s Western partners, because they are currently struggling against a bigger and better Russian army that is pressing hard at certain front line points in Ukraine. Zelenskyy said that recent Russian advances have been halted and the situation on the battlefield is currently better than it has been in the previous three months. “We had some difficulties due to the lack of artillery shells, long-range weapons, sky blocking and the high density of Russian drones.” said Zelenskyy 

The increasingly bold attacks from the Kyiv’s from behind the 930 mile front line running through eastern and southern Ukraine are coinciding with Russia’s presidential election. Because of Ukraine’s attacks deep in Russia it undermines Putin’s attempt to show that life in Russia has been unaffected by the war. 

Source: https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/russia-reports-ukrainian-drone-strikes-targets-deep-inside-108038201