May 9, 2024

Dam Collapse in Western Kenya Claims Dozens of Lives

A tragic incident unfolded in western Kenya early Monday, April 29th as the Old Kijabe Dam, situated in the
Mai Mahiu area of the Great Rift Valley, collapsed, leaving devastation in its wake. The
catastrophe claimed the lives of at least 40 individuals, with numerous others reported missing,
according to authorities.
Reports indicate that a surge of water surged through houses and obstructed a major road,
causing chaos and destruction. Stephen Kirui, a police official, described the horrifying scene to
The Associated Press, detailing how the deluge carried mud, rocks, and uprooted trees
downstream, exacerbating the situation.
Vehicles became ensnared in the debris on one of Kenya’s busiest highways, while emergency
responders worked tirelessly to tend to the injured amid submerged areas. The Kenya Red
Cross reported that 109 individuals were hospitalized, with an additional 49 still unaccounted for.
Eyewitness accounts painted a harrowing picture of the event, with William Lokai recounting to
Citizen TV how he and his family narrowly escaped as their home was engulfed by water after
being startled awake by a deafening noise.
This calamity adds to the toll of ongoing flooding ravaging Kenya, which has already claimed
nearly 100 lives and disrupted the start of the school year. Meteorological warnings persist,
cautioning of further rainfall.
In response to the disaster, Kenya’s Interior Minister, Kithure Kindiki, swiftly ordered the
inspection of all public and private dams and water reservoirs within 24 hours, emphasizing the
need to avert future tragedies. The Kenya National Highways Authority issued alerts urging
motorists to anticipate heavy traffic and road blockages, particularly around Naivasha and
Narok.
The plight extends beyond Kenya, as neighboring countries in East Africa also grapple with
flooding. Tanzania has reported 155 fatalities, while over 200,000 people have been affected in
Burundi.
As rescue efforts continue and communities reel from the impact, President William Ruto has
mobilized resources, instructing the National Youth Service to provide temporary shelter for
those displaced by the floods. Yet, the road to recovery remains fraught with challenges as the
region confronts the aftermath of this natural disaster.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/at-least-40-people-die-in-western-kenya-after-heavy-rains-
cause-a-dam-collapse#:~:text=NAIROBI%2C%20Kenya%20(AP)%20%E2%80%94,a%20major%20road%2C%20police%20said

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/40-people-die-western-kenya-after-dam-collaps
es-109739096