Mexico Severs Diplomatic Relations with Ecuador After Incident

Mexico has announced the severing of diplomatic relations with Ecuador in response to a dramatic turn of
events, escalating a dispute that began with the arrest of former Ecuadorian Vice President Jorge Glas.
The tension peaked when Ecuadorian police raided the Mexican embassy in Quito to capture Glas, who
had been seeking asylum there. Mexico decried the raid as a violation of international law and its
sovereignty. The move prompted an immediate response from Mexican President Andrés Manuel López
Obrador, who ordered all diplomatic staff to leave Ecuador.
Glas, who served as vice president under former President Rafael Correa, had been convicted on
corruption charges in Ecuador and sought refuge in the Mexican embassy, claiming political persecution.
However, Ecuadorian authorities viewed his asylum as contrary to legal norms and proceeded with his
arrest.
The situation escalated further when Mexico vowed to bring Ecuador before the International Court of
Justice over the embassy raid. Secretary of Foreign Affairs Alicia Bárcena condemned Ecuador’s actions
and highlighted the injuries sustained by Mexican diplomats during the incident.
The rupture in diplomatic relations reverberated across Latin America, with leaders from various
countries condemning Ecuador’s actions. Colombian President Gustavo Petro described Glas’s arrest as a
violation of his right to asylum, while Nicaragua followed Mexico in breaking off diplomatic ties with
Ecuador.
The Organization of American States (OAS) also weighed in, calling for dialogue between the two
nations to resolve their differences in accordance with international norms. Meanwhile, the United States
urged both countries to adhere to the Vienna Convention and find a diplomatic solution.
The incident has underscored the ideological divisions within Latin America and raised concerns about
the erosion of diplomatic norms in the region. As tensions continue to simmer, the international
community watches closely for any developments in this escalating diplomatic standoff.
Source information: https://www.ft.com/content/5b53d8e0-a65f-4d7b-96d4-15f342248477
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/06/americas/ecuador-vice-president-arrest-mexico-embassy-diplomatic-ten
sions-intl-hnk/index.html