Bonding Friendships in Sports

Crack. The sound of the volleyball hitting the gym floor could be heard down the hallway.

“Nice dive, you almost had it!”

“You were so close, you’ll get it next time!” All the teammates offered their encouragements.

This group of girls make the weirdest set of friends. You’ve got outgoing girls and girls you hardly notice. There are the girls who have a dozen best friends and the girls who have five best friends and that’s all they need to have. What happens when these girls mix together and form a bond that only occurs between teammates?  How does it differ from those friendships that form during a school year, or friends you’ve had since kindergarten?

“I’ve gotten to know more about my teammates,” freshmen volleyball player Macie Casaday said. “We get along more during volleyball than during school.” She says the friendship is stronger during games and practices than during school, but it does exist.

When asked how those friendships differ from your friends at school she said “ The friendships relate more to volleyball than our personal lives, we don’t talk about the kind of things that you talk to your best friend about.” The bond isn’t as strong as with your regular friends, and doesn’t necessarily last very long after the season, but Casaday said that playing volleyball has led to some new friendships.

“Nice dive, you almost had it!”

“You were so close, you’ll get it next time!” All the teammates offered their encouragements. This group of girls make the weirdest set of friends. You’ve got outgoing girls and girls you hardly notice. There are the girls who have a dozen best friends and the girls who have five best friends and that’s all they need to have. What happens when these girls mix together and form a bond that only occurs between teammates.  How does it differ from those friendships that form during a school year, or friends you’ve had since kindergarten?