Social Media at Ovid-Elsie

Social Media at Ovid-Elsie

Social media plays a big role in our everyday life. Not only do students use it, but teachers too! Jordan Deming and Miranda Chapman, two managers here at OEOnline.org who are in charge of a social media website for the school, Instagram say that their job is to share with their followers what certain classes or people are working on and capture it within that class. Whether it is studying for an upcoming test or starting something exciting and new. I interviewed a few sophomores about their thoughts and interactions with social media.

Katy Hurst, a sophomore at ovid-elsie, says social media affects how people interact with each other. Instead of talking in person they have social media to use. She uses snapchat, instagram, and twitter, some of the very popular social media sites. Katy tells us “I mainly use snapchat throughout the whole day and twitter and instagram a little less.”

Jenna Gewirtz, a sophomore says she doesn’t use much social media besides snapchat throughout the whole day, the other social sites she uses at home when she has free time.

Sage Fahey, also a sophomore says she uses snapchat, twitter, instagram and facebook. These are all very popular social media sites. Sage tells us “Social media takes over my life and what I do, i’m always on it, and it distracts me from other things like homework.”

Lastly, Riley Caswell, another sophomore here at Ovid-Elsie, uses Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. Caswell explains to us how it affects her everyday life because it distracts her in so many ways.

There you have it, although social media sites are fun and informational, they are also very time consuming and when you start using them it’s almost like you can’t get off of them. Many look for hot gossip, or even drama when they get on social media sites. Sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Myspace, Snapchat, Wanelo and many others distract you from your homework, and things that are of more importance. The number of social network users around the world will rise from 1.47 billion in 2012 to 1.73 billion this year, an 18% increase.