April 18, 2024

My American Dream

By Alyssa Lawrence

For some people, at some point in their life, they lose sight of their American dream, but I don’t want that to happen to me. I want to be one of those people that don’t just dream, they go after their dreams and work hard to accomplish them. My dreams are mostly simple, but mean a lot to me and go towards the life I want to live. I want to further my education, get a good job, have a relatively nice house, have a family, and still have time for hobbies once in a while. There are many other things that I would also like to do, but those five things are the basics and they are my priorities.

Before anything else, I want to graduate high school and then go to college. But I don’t want to go to a regular college; I want to go to a trade school in Lansing called Douglas J. It’s a school that specializes in cosmetology, and that’s what I want to learn to do. Ever since I was little I have wanted to be a hair stylist, I just never knew where I could go to school for it. Well, it just so happens that my boyfriend’s brother goes to Douglas J and is about to graduate. It’s a ten month long schooling and you learn everything about cosmetology. I really have my heart set on going there after high school.

After I graduate from college, I want to try and find a really good job. I want to have a steady job that will be able to support me. The only bad side about the career that I want, it doesn’t really pay a lot. But that isn’t going to stop me, I’m determined to find a job that pays relatively well in my area of cosmetology. I plan to start shadowing a local hair dresser in Ovid to learn some things. Hopefully, that will help me find a better job when I get older.

After I go to college and have enough money to put a down payment on a house, I will move out. I don’t want a big house to start off with, a smaller, one or two-bedroom house would do. I don’t want to get a bigger house until I get married and plan to have a family. Hopefully by then, I would have two sources of money, me and my husband, and we would be able to afford a bigger house together.

Of course, I don’t want to be married until I am out of college, but I would love to be engaged to someone. Getting married is a big deal to me, and I want to wait until I have enough time and money to go through the wedding process. But it’s one of the things that I’m most excited about doing when I get older. My plan would be to get married and then have kids. I’ve always wanted three kids, I’m not sure why, but ever since I was younger, I wanted three kids. I have always wanted two girls and one boy. I want to two girls so that I can play with their hair and give them everything I never had growing up. However, I also want a boy, to protect his two sisters from harm. Along with that, I want my kids to do sports when they get old enough, any sport they want, just something.

This leads me into my last necessity for a happy life, soccer. I have played for nearly 7 years now, and I have grown to love everything about it. The adrenaline rush, the physical contact, the bond of a team, everything about soccer makes me happy. Soccer for me, is a way to vent out my anger and release my feelings. I put all of my heart into soccer and I always leave it on the field. It’s my passion, and since it’s the off season, I don’t know what to do with my life. I miss being out there with my girls, fighting to win a game. So, when I get older, I want to continue to play soccer for as long as I can, and after that I plan to coach a team. Hopefully my kids will love soccer as much as I do, it’s not bad if they don’t, I just hope they do.

Overall, I know that it’s not a lot, but those are my dreams. I don’t want to do anything extraordinary or out of the box. Mostly because of the fact that I’m scared of change and traveling, which is sad, because the world is a beautiful place and I would love to see it. Maybe someday I will stop being scared of things and do something with my life. My dreams are simple, but they are important to me, and I really hope I can accomplish them.

flag