Teams Use Summer to Prepare for New Year

By Morgan Taylor

Summer sports are starting up, and student athletes go the extra mile to stay in shape for the sport that they play. Being in shape is important for athletes and most play summer sports to do exactly that. Here is a update on sports students play throughout the summer.
Summer Softball and Baseball
The softball and baseball programs have a summer league for the purpose of keeping involved in softball or baseball year-round to see what up coming players have in store or the up coming 2013-2014 season. Not to mention they also  have fun, summer league is improving the softball and baseball programs by involving everyone so JV and varsity are not separated into two different teams. Players come together and get to know each other more so that they become more of a team as a whole. Summer softball plays seven different teams from multiple different places along with the baseball program. Softball and baseball games are on Thursday nights. Softball games are at 6:00 P.M. and baseball game are at 4:00 P.M.
Cross Country
The cross country team participates in two camps over the summer. They are involved in the Sleepy Hollow camp which is a three-day camp held June 12-14. The other camp they participate in the Higgins Lake North State Park camp. Higgins Lake is located about two hours north of the high school. During these camps, the cross country team is working their hardest to improve either their running times or even their paces.
Soccer
The soccer program will be doing one camp over the summer, which is located at the high school. During this camp the player are improving their skills, speed and also some running.
Basketball
The basketball program is doing multiple camps throughout the off-season that includes bettering boys and girls skills needed for the upcoming 2013-2014 basketball season. Some camps that they will be involved in are not only hosted by Ovid Elsie, but other locations, like Gaylord. The Gaylord camp is for both boys and girls that are either interested in or already involved in basketball. There will be a few other camps in Lansing and also at the high school that most players will be attending.
Volleyball
The volleyball team will be doing an open gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00-7:30 P.M. for any girls that would like to participate in the 2013-2014 girls volleyball season. The volleyball camp information is given by request.
Football
The football program is participating in one camp over the off season. The camp is held at the high school and is in July. The football program is also including weightlifting in their summer program to better the teams strength.
Weightlifting
The weightlifting programs is doing two types of workouts throughout the summer. One of the workouts is called the “Foran Jump.” It includes multiple agility exercises and helps with the players’ vertical jump. Another workout that they are doing is called the “Bigger Faster Stronger” workout. This workout improves muscle strength in core muscles including arms, legs, and chest. It also includes bench press, parallel squat and dead lift. Weightlifting is every day from 9:00-10:30 A.M. and 6:00-7:30 P.M.