Students Prepare for Spring Break

Story by Leah Lupu. Video package by Claudia Price.

Beaches, oceans, hotels, state parks, and having fun are the usual details of a high schooler’s spring break. This year, many students are spreading out along the East Coast. With the temperatures looking to be chilly in Michigan, many students are looking forward to going down South.

Junior Mya Hall will be traveling with classmate Abigail Halm to Daytona Beach, Florida. While there, they plan on swimming with aquatic life, such as manatees and stingrays. The girls will also be visiting the world’s largest aquarium in Atlanta.

“We decided to go to Daytona Beach because it was the cheapest place to go since we will be staying with my mom’s friend.” Hall said. To save some money on airfare, Hall, her mom, and Halm plan on driving the 1,196 miles without stopping.

Another student driving down South for vacation is sophomore Marshall Gallt. This spring break, his mode of transportation is a bit out of the norm; the Gallt family will be traveling in a remodeled U-HAUL trailer. While his parents drive, Gallt will be keeping Kenda, the family dog, company during the 32-hour round trip commute.

“We’ll be staying in a state park on Myrtle Beach for three days, and the rest of the time I just want to hang out with Marc Hoffmann,” Gallt said.

Although the weather will be warmer down South, not everyone will be enjoying it. For example, freshman Matthew Horak has chosen to stay at home and play basketball with his friends. In the past, Horak visited Disney World in Orlando, Florida for one of his favorite spring break trips.

“My perfect spring break would be laying on the beach tanning,” Horak said.

Physical education teacher Michelle Ott is also staying home for spring break. While at home, Ott will be changing her spare bedroom into a nursery in preparation for the new addition to her family. When she is not working on the nursery, Ott has plans to go to the mall with her mother to buy a spring maternity outfit for her baby shower.

No matter if you are traveling to the ends of the earth, or staying in your backyard for spring break, it is important to keep safety a priority.

“Be smart, have fun!” Ott said. Along with Ott’s advice, Hall would like to remind everyone to wear your sunscreen when you go outside.